- 1 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lime zest
- 3 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cloves garlic, very finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 tablespoon Jamaican jerk sauce, (see Note)
- 20 large shrimp (about 1 pound), peeled and deveined
- 3 cups cooked white rice
- 1 16-ounce can black beans, rinsed
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 cups fresh pineapple chunks, (about 1/2 pineapple)
- 6 thick scallions, trimmed and cut into 2-inch lengths
- 1 head Boston lettuce, washed, dried and torn
- Lime slices for garnish
Bring pineapple juice to a boil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat; cook until reduced to 1/3 cup, about 8 minutes. Remove from the heat and whisk in lime zest and juice, oil, garlic, thyme, oregano, cinnamon and allspice. Let cool to room temperature.
Whisk together jerk sauce and 1/4 cup of the pineapple-juice marinade in a shallow dish just large enough to hold the shrimp. Add shrimp and turn to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Toss rice and black beans in a large bowl with the remaining marinade. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
Preheat grill. Remove the shrimp from the marinade. (Discard the marinade.) Thread 4 long or 8 short skewers with the shrimp, pineapple and scallions. Grill, turning once or twice, until the shrimp are cooked through, 6 to 10 minutes.
Arrange a bed of lettuce on a large platter. Spoon the rice-and-bean salad on top. Slide the shrimp, pineapple and scallions from the skewers onto the rice; garnish with lime slices.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 477
- Carbohydrates: 73g
- Fat: 6g
- Protein: 32g
- Dietary Fiber: 7g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 2g
- Cholesterol: 172mg
- Potassium: 645mg
- Sodium: 387mg
- Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 fruit, 1 vegetable, 3 1/2 very lean meat, 1 fat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 4