- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced
- 1 medium ripe pear, sliced
- 2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 6 1/2-inch or eight 4-inch whole-wheat pita breads
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese, such as Gorgonzola
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
Preheat oven to 450°F.
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until soft and golden, about 7 minutes. Stir in pear and cook, stirring often, until slightly soft and heated through, 1 to 2 minutes. Add vinegar and pepper and continue cooking, stirring often, until the liquid has evaporated and the onion is tender and coated with a dark glaze, about 2 minutes more.
Divide the onion-pear mixture among the pitas; sprinkle with cheese and walnuts. Transfer the pitas to a large baking sheet and bake until crispy and the cheese is melted, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 361
- Carbohydrates: 53g
- Fat: 14g
- Protein: 12g
- Dietary Fiber: 8g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 4g
- Cholesterol: 13mg
- Potassium: 322mg
- Sodium: 543mg
- Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1 fruit, 1/2 high-fat meat, 1 1/2 fat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 3