- 5 pounds plums, pitted and sliced (14-15 cups)
- 3 Granny Smith apples, washed and quartered (not cored)
- 1/4 cup white grape juice, or other fruit juice
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3/4 cup sugar, or Splenda Granular
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, or ginger (optional)
Place a plate in the freezer for testing consistency later.
Combine plums, apples, grape juice (or fruit juice) and lemon juice in a large, heavy-bottomed, nonreactive Dutch oven. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring. Cover and boil gently, stirring occasionally, until the fruit is softened and juicy, 15 to 20 minutes. Uncover and boil gently, stirring occasionally, until the fruit is completely soft, about 20 minutes. (Adjust heat as necessary to maintain a gentle boil.)
Pass the fruit through a food mill to remove the skins and apple seeds.
Return the strained fruit to the pot. Add sugar (or Splenda) and cinnamon (or ginger), if using. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until a spoonful of jam dropped onto the chilled plate holds its shape, about 15 minutes longer. (See Tip.) Remove from heat and skim off any foam.
- Serving: Per tablespoon with sugar
- Calories: 14
- Carbohydrates: 4g
- Fat: 0g
- Protein: 0g
- Dietary Fiber: 0g
- Saturated Fat: 0g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Potassium: 30mg
- Sodium: 0mg
- Exchanges: free food
- Carbohydrate Servings: 0