- 1 14-ounce c salad beans, (see Shopping Tip) or other beans, rinsed, divided
- 2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 14-ounce c diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley, divided
- 8 ounces whole-wheat fettuccine
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Put a large pot of water on to boil. Mash 1/2 cup beans in a small bowl with a fork.
Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, carrot, celery and salt; cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and bay leaf; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 15 seconds. Add wine; increase heat to high and boil until most of the liquid evaporates, 3 to 4 minutes. Add tomatoes and their juices, 2 tablespoons parsley and the mashed beans. Bring to a lively simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 6 minutes. Add the remaining whole beans; cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes more.
Meanwhile, cook pasta in the boiling water until just tender, about 9 minutes or according to package directions. Drain.
Divide the pasta among 4 bowls. Discard the bay leaf and top the pasta with the sauce; sprinkle with Parmesan and the remaining parsley.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 443
- Carbohydrates: 67g
- Fat: 11g
- Protein: 19g
- Dietary Fiber: 14g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 6g
- Cholesterol: 9mg
- Potassium: 281mg
- Sodium: 707mg
- Exchanges: 3 1/2 starch, 1 1/2 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2