- 4 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup grits, quick or old-fashioned (not instant)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium clo garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup grated sharp Italian cheese, such as Pecorino Romano or Parmesan
- 1/8-1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or 1 teaspoon hot sauce, or to taste
Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat an 8-inch-square baking pan with cooking spray.
Bring water, grits and salt to a boil in a large saucepan, stirring occasionally. Reduce the heat and simmer until the grits are thick, 5 to 30 minutes, depending on the type of grits.
Meanwhile, combine oil and garlic in a small skillet and cook over medium heat, stirring often, until the garlic is fragrant but not browned, about 1 minute. Remove from heat.
Stir the oil and garlic into the grits along with the cheeses and cayenne (or hot sauce); transfer to the prepared pan.
Bake, uncovered, until bubbling and crusty on top, about 45 minutes.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 168
- Carbohydrates: 21g
- Fat: 6g
- Protein: 7g
- Dietary Fiber: 1g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 2g
- Cholesterol: 16mg
- Potassium: 35mg
- Sodium: 264mg
- Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 fat meat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2