- 1 large orange or yellow bell pepper
- 3 1/2 pounds yellow or orange tomatoes, peeled (see Tip) and cored, divided
- 1 cup coarsely chopped sweet onion
- 2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2-3 red or green jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced, for garnish (optional)
Position rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler.
Place bell pepper on a baking sheet and broil, turning every 4 to 5 minutes, until the skin is blackened and blistered on all sides, 20 to 25 minutes. Transfer the pepper to a bowl, cover, and let steam until the skin is loosened, about 10 minutes. Uncover; when cool enough to handle, remove the skin. Discard stem, seeds and ribs.
Place the roasted pepper and half the tomatoes in a blender; and onion and oil and puree until smooth. Transfer to a large metal bowl. Puree the remaining tomatoes until smooth and add to the bowl; stir to combine. Refrigerate the gazpacho until chilled, at least 2 hours. Season with salt and pepper. Serve garnished with jalapenos, if desired.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 104
- Carbohydrates: 13g
- Fat: 5g
- Protein: 3g
- Dietary Fiber: 3g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 4g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Potassium: 803mg
- Sodium: 452mg
- Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 fat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 1