- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed of fat and cut into bite-size pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of freshly ground pepper
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 6 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup dried shrimp, or 3 tablespoons fish sauce (see Notes), optional
- 1/4 cup roasted peanuts
- 1 14-ounce c reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup “lite” coconut milk
Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add chicken, salt and pepper and saute, stirring often, until cooked through, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl and set aside.
Heat the remaining 2 teaspoons oil in the pot over medium heat. Add onion and bell pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, parsley and garlic, reduce to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until thick and bubbly, 10 to 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, place dried shrimp (if using) in a food processor and process until finely ground. Transfer to a small bowl. Add peanuts to the processor and process until finely ground. Combine the ground shrimp (or fish sauce), if using, with the ground peanuts.
Add broth, coconut milk and the peanut mixture to the pot. Increase heat to medium, bring to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, 10 to 15 minutes. Add the reserved chicken and cook until heated through, about 2 minutes.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 302
- Carbohydrates: 12g
- Fat: 10g
- Protein: 728g
- Dietary Fiber: 3g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 4g
- Cholesterol: 89mg
- Potassium: 728mg
- Sodium: 241mg
- Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 5 very lean meat, 1 fat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 1