- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped (2 cups)
- 1 12-ounce b dark or amber beer
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/4 pounds 95%-lean ground beef
- 1 1/4 pounds 93%-lean ground turkey
- 1 cup fresh whole-wheat breadcrumbs, (see Tip)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat an 8 1/2-by-4 1/2-inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until translucent and starting to brown, about 5 minutes. Pour in beer and increase heat to high. Bring to a vigorous boil; cook until the liquid is quite syrupy and the mixture reduces to about 3/4 cup, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl. Stir in thyme, dry mustard, salt and pepper. Let cool for 10 minutes.
Add beef, turkey, breadcrumbs, parsley, egg and egg white to the onion mixture. With clean hands, mix thoroughly and transfer to the prepared pan.
Bake the meatloaf until an instant-read thermometer registers 160°F when inserted into the center, about 1 hour 20 minutes. Let rest for 5 minutes; drain accumulated liquid from the pan and slice.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 259
- Carbohydrates: 11g
- Fat: 9g
- Protein: 31g
- Dietary Fiber: 2g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 2g
- Cholesterol: 105mg
- Potassium: 51mg
- Sodium: 339mg
- Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 4 lean meat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2