- 4 yellow, orange and/or red bell peppers
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat orzo
- 1 15-ounce c chickpeas, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 ounces baby spinach, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes, (not oil-packed), chopped
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar, or red-wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Halve peppers lengthwise through the stems, leaving the stems attached. Remove the seeds and white membrane. Place the peppers cut-side down in a large microwave-safe dish. Add 1/2 inch water, cover and microwave on High until the peppers are just softened, 7 to 9 minutes. Let cool slightly, drain and set aside.
Meanwhile, bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Add orzo and cook until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions. Drain and rinse with cold water.
Mash chickpeas into a chunky paste with a fork, leaving some whole.
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until soft, about 4 minutes. Add spinach and oregano and cook, stirring, until the spinach is wilted, about 1 minute. Stir in the orzo, chickpeas, 1/2 cup feta, tomatoes, vinegar and salt; cook until heated though, about 1 minute. Divide the filling among the pepper halves and sprinkle each pepper with some of the remaining 1/4 cup feta.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 344
- Carbohydrates: 48g
- Fat: 11g
- Protein: 14g
- Dietary Fiber: 11g
- Saturated Fat: 5g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 4g
- Cholesterol: 25mg
- Potassium: 689mg
- Sodium: 656mg
- Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 high-fat meat, 1 fat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2