- 3-3 1 pounds bone-in chicken pieces, (thighs, drumsticks and/or breasts), skin removed, trimmed (see Tip)
- 3/4 teaspoon coarse salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 cups finely diced onions
- Pinch of sugar
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoon finely minced fresh parsley, dill and/or chives
Pat chicken pieces dry with paper towels and season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper.
Heat oil and butter in a large heavy casserole or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onions and sprinkle with sugar. Cook, stirring frequently, until the onions are very soft and light brown, 10 to 15 minutes.
Stir in bell peppers, tomato paste, paprika and crushed red pepper. Add the chicken and stir it gently into the onion mixture. Sprinkle with marjoram and add broth. Cover the pot with a tight-fitting lid and simmer over medium-low heat until the chicken is very tender, about 50 minutes.
Just before the chicken is done, whisk sour cream, flour and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt in a small bowl until smooth.
When the chicken is done, remove it to a plate. Stir the sour cream mixture into the sauce; return to a simmer and cook, stirring, until the sauce coats the spoon. Reduce heat to low, return the chicken to the sauce and reheat, about 1 minute. Serve garnished with parsley, dill and/or chives, if desired.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 331
- Carbohydrates: 17g
- Fat: 14g
- Protein: 35g
- Dietary Fiber: 4g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 5g
- Cholesterol: 116mg
- Potassium: 705mg
- Sodium: 384mg
- Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 4 lean meat, 1 fat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 1