- 6 small ripe but firm pears
- 1 tablespoon agave syrup, (see Note)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened pomegranate juice
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1 small clov garlic, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground chipotle chile, (see Note), or more to taste
- Pinch of ground cloves
- 4 cups baby arugula
- 2 cups mixed baby lettuces
- Pomegranate seeds, (optional; see Tip)
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Slice off the base of each pear so it will stand upright. Use an apple corer (or small spoon) to remove cores, if desired, working from the base up. Peel if desired, but leave the stems on. Place the pears on a baking sheet and brush with agave syrup. Roast until browned and tender, 30 to 45 minutes, depending on the size and ripeness of the pears.
Whisk pomegranate juice, vinegar, oil, brown sugar, orange zest, shallot, garlic, salt, pepper, chipotle and cloves in a large bowl or puree in a blender.
Toss arugula and lettuce with the dressing in a large bowl and divide among 6 chilled plates. Set a pear on each plate and scatter some pomegranate seeds on the greens (if using).
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 137
- Carbohydrates: 30g
- Fat: 3g
- Protein: 1g
- Dietary Fiber: 5g
- Saturated Fat: 0g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 2g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Potassium: 285mg
- Sodium: 61mg
- Exchanges: 2 fruit, 1/2 fat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2