- 3 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoon pure maple syrup, preferably grade B
- 2 tablespoon peanut or canola oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4-41/ pounds bone-in chicken pieces, (thighs, drumsticks and/or breasts), skin removed, trimmed (see Tip)
- 1 1/2 cups fresh breadcrumbs, preferably whole-wheat (see Tip)
Whisk mustard, maple syrup, 1 tablespoon oil, thyme, pepper and salt in a large bowl. Add chicken and turn to coat evenly. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes and up to 6 hours.
Preheat oven to 400°F. Set a wire rack on a large baking sheet.
Combine breadcrumbs and the remaining 1 tablespoon oil on a plate. Dredge the skinned side of each chicken piece in the breadcrumbs (with drumsticks, dredge the meatier side) and arrange breaded-side up on the wire rack. Leave at least 1 inch between pieces.
Bake until golden brown and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the meat registers 165°F, 35 to 40 minutes. Serve hot or let cool, refrigerate and serve chilled.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 325
- Carbohydrates: 14g
- Fat: 8g
- Protein: 45g
- Dietary Fiber: 2g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 4g
- Cholesterol: 117mg
- Potassium: 366mg
- Sodium: 338mg
- Exchanges: 1 starch, 3 lean meat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 1