- 1 pound soft whole-wheat sandwich bread, crusts removed
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup low-fat milk
- 3 8-ounce ca crushed pineapple, very well drained
- 1 1/2 cups finely diced ham steak
- 3 tablespoon butter, melted
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a 2 1/2-quart soufflé or casserole dish with cooking spray.
Process bread in a food processor in three batches, until coarse crumbs form (about 5 cups).
Whisk 2 egg yolks (discard the remaining yolks or reserve for another use), milk, pineapple and ham in a large bowl. Stir in the breadcrumbs and butter.
Beat 6 egg whites, sugar and salt in a medium bowl with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until soft peaks form. Gently fold the whites into the bread mixture in two batches. Transfer to the prepared dish.
Bake the soufflé until puffed, golden and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center registers at least 160°F, 50 minutes to 1 hour.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 475
- Carbohydrates: 59g
- Fat: 16g
- Protein: 24g
- Dietary Fiber: 6g
- Saturated Fat: 7g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 5g
- Cholesterol: 117mg
- Potassium: 320mg
- Sodium: 493mg
- Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1 1/2 fruit, 2 medium-fat meat, 1 fat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2