- 6 ounces lean ground lamb, or ground beef
- 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon crumbled dried rosemary, or oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper, (optional)
- 1 14-ounce c whole tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoon chopped, pitted black olives
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 12 ounces orzo
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
Put a large pot of salted water on to boil.
Cook lamb (or beef) in a small skillet over medium heat, stirring, until browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Drain in a sieve set over a bowl.
Heat oil in a Dutch oven or large deep skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until softened, 4 to 5 minutes. Add garlic, cinnamon, rosemary (or oregano) and crushed red pepper, if using; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute more. Add lamb (or beef).
Puree tomatoes and their juices in a food processor until smooth. Add to the meat mixture and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is thickened, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in olives. Season with salt and pepper.
Meanwhile, cook orzo until just tender, about 8 minutes or according to package directions. Drain and toss with the sauce. Serve garnished with feta.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 461
- Carbohydrates: 73g
- Fat: 9g
- Protein: 23g
- Dietary Fiber: 5g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 3g
- Cholesterol: 31mg
- Potassium: 514mg
- Sodium: 352mg
- Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 fat, 4 starch, 1 1/2 medium-fat meat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 4 1/2