- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped (1 tablespoon)
- 8 ounces mushrooms, trimmed and sliced (8-10 mushrooms)
- 1/2 cup pecan halves, toasted (2 ounces)
- 1 cup cooked rice, preferably brown basmati rice
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs, (see Tip)
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Cayenne pepper, to taste
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
Preheat the broiler. Lightly oil a baking sheet or coat it with cooking spray and set aside.
Heat oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add onion and garlic and sauté until the onion is soft, about 3 minutes. Add mushrooms and sauté until they are slightly soft, about 3 more minutes. Remove the pan from the heat.
Coarsely chop pecans in a food processor (not a blender). Add rice, carrots and the sautéed onion mixture. Pulse a few times until the mixture has a mealy consistency and transfer it to a large bowl. Add breadcrumbs and mix well. Season with salt, pepper and cayenne. Stir in egg.
Shape the mixture into 6 patties. Place the patties on the prepared baking sheet. Broil, about 6 inches from the heat, until lightly browned, 5 to 7 minutes per side.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 204
- Carbohydrates: 22g
- Fat: 11g
- Protein: 5g
- Dietary Fiber: 3g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 6g
- Cholesterol: 35mg
- Potassium: 310mg
- Sodium: 178mg
- Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 fat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2