- 3 pounds kohlrabi, (5-6 medium), trimmed, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 1/3 cups low-fat milk, divided
- 3 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced smoked ham, cut into strips
- 1/4 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black or white pepper
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/3 cup fresh breadcrumbs, preferably whole-wheat (see Tip)
Preheat oven to 400°F. Put a large pot of water on to boil. Coat a 1 1/2-quart gratin dish or similar-size shallow baking dish with cooking spray.
Cook kohlrabi in the boiling water until tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Drain.
Heat 1 cup milk in a small saucepan over medium heat until steaming. Whisk flour and the remaining 1/3 cup milk in a small bowl to make a smooth paste; stir into the hot milk and cook, whisking constantly, until the sauce bubbles and thickens, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in ham and cheese. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
Distribute the cooked kohlrabi in the prepared dish. Pour the cheese sauce over the top, spreading evenly. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs.
Bake the gratin until bubbling and golden on top, 30 to 40 minutes.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 140
- Carbohydrates: 22g
- Fat: 3g
- Protein: 10g
- Dietary Fiber: 9g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 1g
- Cholesterol: 13mg
- Potassium: 814mg
- Sodium: 391mg
- Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 3 vegetable
- Carbohydrate Servings: 1