By Chris Freytag, Fitness Expert for Prevention Magazine & ACE Board Member
I am addicted to motivational words and phrases. I have them on my laptop screen saver and on my iPhone. I wear a necklace that says “Live Life Well”. I have bracelets with coins saying “Believe, Sweat, and Inspire”. I get energy from words. I glance at them, read them, repeat them and they channel my thoughts in a positive way. It’s a great way to keep you motivated with your fitness program. It can be as simple as putting the word or phrase on a post-it note on your computer or bathroom mirror – somewhere you will see it every day.
Here are 25 of my favorite motivational quotes from some famous and not-so-famous folks. I hope you find inspiration in them like I have!
1. Strive for progress, not perfection.
2. You want me to do something... tell me I can't do it.
3. You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.
4. If you don’t make mistakes, you aren’t really trying.
5. You live longer once you realize that any time spent being unhappy is wasted.
-Ruth E. Renkl
6. Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.
7. Motivation will almost always beat mere talent.
-Norman R. Augustine
8. I'd rather be a failure at something I enjoy than a success at something I hate.
9. Energy and persistence conquer all things.
10. Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
11. No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
12. Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
13. Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
14. Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going.
15. I've missed more than 9,000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.
16. Fear is what stops you... courages is what keeps you going.
17. The finish line is just the beginning of a whole new race.
18. The difference between a goal and a dream is a deadline.
19. Just do it.™ -Nike
20. In seeking happiness for others, you find it for yourself.
21. The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
22. It's not who you are that holds you back, it’s who you think you’re not.
23. Luck is a matter of preparation meeting opportunity.
24. It's never too late to become what you might have been.
25. Clear your mind of can’t.
Chris Freytag, has been educating others on how to live a healthy lifestyle for more than 18 years. She is the author of the 2 Week Total Body Turnaround and serves as the fitness expert/columnist for Prevention Magazine as well as the fitness contributor for the NBC affiliate in Minneapolis. Chris has created more than a dozen fitness DVDs, is a trainer for GAIAM and SPRI Products and sits on the board of directors for the American Council on Exercise. She is the mother of three teenagers and resides in Minneapolis, Minn., with her family.